“A car got brutally crushed on the G.T road due to plugged tire” these were the headlines of yesterday’s newspaper.
But the question arises, is it true that a plugged tire can cause this much damage, unfortunately, it absolutely can cause severe damage to your beloved car or bike.
What are Tire Plugs?
When your car accidentally runs over a nail or any other pointed substance it causes holes in the tire which disturbs the functioning so opt for an easy way tire plugs kits come handy as plugs can be applied without any additional help.
How Tire Plugs work?
To understand better about tire plugs and their working:
• Tire plugs are leather strips embedded in rubber that are inserted in holes and sealed from the outside.
• Tire Plugs work best for holes that are present on the tire tread and can be efficiently placed and temporarily repair the damage caused.
• If the puncture is on the sidewall of the tire or at any different angles it is beyond the reach of plugs to repair
Are Tire Plugs Legal or Illegal?
Tire plugs are completely legal and also used to a great extent, but the debate on tire plugs makes trouble as many local dealers refuse to repair plugged tires.
Many times people use plugs without even knowing the right procedure and when the damage is beyond repair and required mechanic help then only people seek local experts for help.
Tire plugs could be dangerous for the tire as it only provides a temporary solution for that instance and the tire require professional help as soon as possible.
Dangers of using Tire Plugs
Tire plugs are very dangerous in various ways:-
• Tire plugs can only be used if the hole is of small size and if its size is more than 0.25 inches, it can’t cover the punctured area properly and when the vehicle is used in that condition it could lead to a major accident.
• Use of plugs regularly can affect the quality and age of tires simultaneously as it lowers the quality grade of the tire and continuously used plugged wire cause permanent damage on the tread of tires.
• Tire plugs do more harm on vehicles than prove to be good as they are only temporary fix but negligence shown by us by not going to experts make tires working worst and they have to be replaced immediately.
• Plugs are unprofessional repair because the hole is still in your vehicle and blowout chances are at peak, if that happens it will adversely affect both owners as well as the vehicle.
• The plugged tire may abstain from the warranty offered by the manufacturer company for the vehicle. As low maintenance and improper repair are foolproof ways to affect warranty.
How to prevent these damages
It’s best to take professional help in such cases. Tire plugs are not at all reliable sources to fix the problem so to take local expert’s help is very much advisable.
Replacing the tire when punctured is far better action than using plugs, it can help you until you get the tire replaced.
If vehicles are run over by nails they should directly be taken to experts of the manufacturer company as they might solve the problem without even replacing the tire.
To avoid any mishap one should check the problem before hitting the road,
Tire Plugs are good to use for a short period and can prove to be handy if someone is at an isolated place and require urgent help moreover if the damage is straightforward repair and the size of holes are small then plugs can be used as a temporary fix. Some Tire plugs companies even claim that plug if used properly can last up to seven years.
But with its short-term benefits, it can cause long-term damages to vehicles as regular usage can degrade the age of tires, damages are beyond repair and tires have to be replaced immediately. Also if the plug is not inserted properly it can maximize the hole size.
To avoid any of these problems further safety measures should be taken such as listening to the advice of experts while not being an expert yourself and taking tires to get frequently be checked by professionals.